Do you want to purchase an air fryer but want to learn more about them first? We got you covered. In this article, we will discuss everything you need to know about how to cook using an air fryer, as well as other basic information about air fryers. Meanwhile, if you are looking for more for more household product reviews, you can visit the Wirecutter website. Without further ado, let’s start:
What are air fryers?
Despite the common misconception, air fryers are not the same as deep fryers. In fact, air fryers are more similar to ovens in the way they cook. Air fryers are essentially tiny but powerful ovens that utilize air for cooking, as opposed to using fat like deep fryers. Due to the fact that air fryers are ovens and not deep fryers, you cannot expect the food you cook from them to have the same consistency and taste as food that are cooked using deep fryers.
The upside of using an air fryer is that it creates less clutter since it doesn’t use oil, and you can also save on oil as compared with deep frying. Better still, air fryers have a lot of other functions other than frying foods without oil. Air fryers can also cook vegetables, chicken wings, small cakes, and other cuisine innovations.
Things to keep in mind when using an air fryer
In this section, we will discuss some of the important things you should know about air fryer cooking.
- Do not remove the basket grate, since they prevent heat from escaping, and helps with hot air circulation.
- Air fryers can get really loud while it is operating. Whirring fan sounds are normal when an air fryer is turned on.
- Air fryer requires action from the cooker. Even simple browning will need regular basket removal and shuffling every once in a while.
- It is okay to take out the basket to look at the state of the food inside. This can be done at any time during the cooking procedure with no adverse effects on the food being cooked. Additionally, there is no need to turn off the air fryer once the cooking is done since air fryers automatically turn off once the basket was taken out.
- As a follow up on the tip above, always push the food basket all the way to the air fryer. An incorrectly inserted air fryer basket will prevent the air fryer from turning on.
- Air fryer will cook your food faster than traditional cooking methods, which is one of its best features. Make sure to pay attention to the adjusted cooking times. For more information about the cooking time for different types of food supported by air fryers, please refer to the manual of your air fryer. Different air fryers can have different cooking times, especially on models that are varying in size. Additionally, the quantity of food inside the air fryer basket will also directly affect the cooking time.